Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Taking My Own Advice

Yesterday, while I was attending the Governor's press conference on public private partnerships, I decided to log into a colon cancer website that someone sent to me. (This is not a comment on the quality of the press conference - I am just a blackberry addict.) As I was navigating the website, I found a terrible mortality statistic about colon cancer. I then went on to read several stories about young people who have died from colon cancer. All of these folks were vibrant, motivated and had a lot to offer the world.

Needless to say, this was not a good move for me. I was distraught for the rest of the day and have been unable to get the statistic nor the sad stories out of my head. Everyone that I have told has reassured me that the statistic simply does not apply to me. I am trying desperately to refocus my energy on fighting, but this has been quite a blow to my resolve.

I wasn't going to write about the psychological struggle that I've been having, but a close friend encouraged me to go ahead and share both the bad and the good. This blog is to be a chronicle of my fight and these last 2 days have been a part of my experience.

I am redoubling my effort and am absolutely determined not to allow the last 2 days to inhibit my ability to heal. Therefore, I've decided to follow my own advice and not read another mortality statistic or story about death of colon cancer patients - since I am planning to be a survivor.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Eve. I have studiously avoided reading any statistical data on colon cancer for that precise reason.

I hope you're able to get it all out of your head...or at least shunt it aside. xoxo Miriam

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite country music songs has a line in it: "If you're goin' thru Hell, just keep on going"

Just keep on going. Damn straight. It's OK to be scared, but just keep on, keeping on.

Sending prayers.

Rachel R.

sethbook said...

The Internet if famous for sharing information--good, bad, inaccurate, and everything in between. People have learned to empower themselves with education during the past few decades, but the Internet can be a bit *too* open. Horror stories abound, from cancers to feline diabetes (I know this from making the mistake of educating myself when my cat was diagnosed as diabetic!).

You may know the statistics, but they don't know YOU, or all the people who are behind you.

Love,

Seth Bookey

Anonymous said...

3/4 of any battle in life is staying positive!!! Keep the faith, Eve -- and know we're all keeping it for you when you need a little lift!

Cheers and love,
Cat

Anonymous said...

Stories of other patients can be very scary, but always remember that the negative stuff you see about other people does NOT apply to you. I made that mistake but thankfully snapped out of it. Others do not have your strength, resolve, determination and support.
All the best,
Tiffanie