Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hurray for Anti-Nausea Meds!

Hallelujah for anti-nausea meds! We finally got the formula right. I made it through Thursday without leaning over a toilet. What’s amazing is my new perception of a good day.

We continued the march of the penguin caps as well, with multiple people helping throughout the day. It is quite the labor intensive process to ensure that the caps drop down to -31 degrees Celsius and get changed within a 2 minute span. The ritual includes changing the cap every 30 minutes for about 7 hours. Let’s just say that it isn’t the best day between the chemo and the caps, but I’m thrilled to say that so far I haven’t lost any hair.

In honor of the penguin caps I'm going to throw in a quick ode from my talented friend Shana:

I may be stuck in this chemo chair,
But I've got Penguin Caps for my hair.
They're cold as ice and freeze my locks,
A follicular form of hair Botox.
So when I'm through with this chemo gig,
I won't be needin' no stinkin' wig.


I bounced back from this chemo treatment much more quickly than my previous two experiences. I feel like we are finally getting the side effects under control. I still have a low level of nausea, but now it just reminds me of being a little seasick at all times. Not great, but livable.

Yesterday, I felt well enough to go to watch the girls play soccer. They were so thrilled that I was there and able to participate. I caught them watching me constantly to make sure that I was paying attention. I know that they worry about me. How I wish that I could take away that worry and replace it only with worries about missing a goal on the soccer field. I work hard to appear as normal as possible to the girls.

But that is my job. I’m the mom and I have to be strong for them. They will survive. I will survive. It won’t be easy, but together, we are determined to see this through.

No comments: