Sunday, July 6, 2014

I Want to Be Old

Over the last few years I’ve noticed an interesting reversal of how I see elderly people. I’m jealous of them. While others covet youth, I covet old age.  When I see an elderly person, I say a little prayer that someday I, too, will be old. I can hardly wait for each birthday.  While I love having young girls, I want to see them grow up – I want to suffer through teenage years. I want to be there for the boy trouble, the skin problems and the teenage girl drama.

So – this week, I’ll head back down to Stanford for an MRI and PET/CT scan. They are having trouble pinpointing my tumor using a regular CT scan and they need to know where it is in order to radiate it. I want them to figure it out – fast. I am in extreme pain every day and I can’t wait to begin the radiation.

They also don’t want to radiate the tumor quickly. Because the tumor is about 3-5 cm up from my rear, they have to be very careful. They don’t want to burn a hole through anything down there. I’m not going to describe what can happen when a hole is created – but it’s not pretty.

Going slow means that I will be going to Stanford daily for 2-4 weeks (depending on what they see this week with the tests) for radiation. I hope to begin on July 14. Fortunately, we’re doing this while the legislature is on recess. I’ve had to cancel a couple of vacation plans, but that’s ok. I’m just glad that no one is talking about excising body parts at this point or kicking me off of the PDL-1 study.

When I was complaining about the amount of time that the radiation was going to take, my radiation oncologist, Dr. Albert Koong, looked at me and said, “Eve – I want to go slow so that you don’t have problems 10 years down the line.” While I wasn’t crazy about the amount of time that it will take for the treatment -  it was like music to my ears to hear him use the phrase “10 years down the line.”

We’re hopeful that the radiation coupled with the PDL-1 will jump start my immune system once again. Our fingers and toes are crossed that this will be the magic that we’ve been waiting for. I so want to rid my body of disease.

I’m looking forward to getting old. I’m looking forward to everything that comes with getting old. Because then I will have lived long enough to have raised my girls – which is, by far, my most important goal.
Bring on the birthdays!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Eve,
I love this blog! You again, inspire me to focus on what matters most! Your message straightens me out!
Thank you and sending lots of prayers for pain relief and slow success as you take these next steps in this season! Hugs and love and prayers from Florida!
Amber