Sunday, June 22, 2014

Healing Ceremony and Some Tough News


It has taken me a couple of weeks to sit down and tell you all about the wonderful healing ceremony that we held at our home. I’ve been very busy with the end of school, getting the kids ready for camp, the bill deadlines for the legislative session and the pain that I’ve been experiencing.
As a quick recap, Rabbi Wolfe did an absolutely lovely job of leading the ceremony – drawing in everyone. We burned that terrible document that spoke to my demise. We planted a pomegranate tree on top of the ashes. We shared love and laughter and some sorrow. The highlight of the day was when my dear friend from childhood, Sarah Tunik, read a poem that she had written for the occasion (inspired by Maya Angelou’s Still I Rise ):


You may write me off as history
With your fancy charts that lie
You may quote the stats and frequencies
But still, the outlier, I'll rise.
 
Does my confidence surprise you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got life
instead of calling  for my tomb.
 
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.
 
Did you expect to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.
 
You may write about my ending,
You may cut out my insides,
You may radiate and then sedate,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
 
Does my longevity shock you?
Does it come as a surprise?
That when you read my stars
I made ashes from the lies?
 
Out of the fire,
I rise
Up from a hospital bed
I rise
I'm a great field of chodosh[1], wheat
Bending and blowing, to grow and not beat
There will be no harvest; I count my own days
I rise
Up from the fire, with spark and with praise
I rise
Bringing the strength of friends wide and near

I still survive, with hope, and not fear.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
 

As part of the ceremony, Ellie wrote a poem that she shared with everyone:
 
Health can come from drugs and drugs,
But it could also come from love and hugs.
Health can come from praying, too.
But in this service, it comes from all of you.
 
A huge thank you to everyone who was able to join us for the ceremony. It meant so much to our family to have so many friends envelope us with their support.
 
In other news, many of you are aware that I’ve been in a significant amount of pain for the last couple of months. We had many possible causes for the pain: internal hemorrhoids, nerve damage from past surgeries, scar tissue, shortened colon issues, potential new food allergies. I went in for a CT to try to figure out what it was, but nothing showed up on the CT. I finally convinced the colorectal surgeon to order a colonoscopy.
 
On Thursday I went in for the colonoscopy. The doctor was sure that we wouldn’t see any cancer since nothing had been seen on the CT scan. Unfortunately, he was wrong. Hiding in my scar tissue was a tumor that measured 2-3 cm in size. The mystery was solved as to why I was in so much pain.
 
This is not good. I don’t know what the next steps will be. My prayer is that we can come up with an option that does not involve removing my colon. I’m guessing that we will begin with radiation – which doesn’t sound pleasant, but it would be a heck of a lot better than removing my colon.  I also hope to stay on my wonderful trial.
 
On Tuesday, I’ll be meeting with Dr. Fisher to discuss his recommendations for next steps. While this tumor is causing a lot of pain, it is not in a vital organ. People live without colons. The main goal is to live.
 
I’m so tired of the struggle. Fortunately, the healing ceremony came at the right time. I need the strength of others to pull me through this difficult time. Please keep me in your prayers. I have a feeling that I don’t have an easy road ahead and I will be leaning on all of you to support me as I conquer this new challenge.Health can come from drugs and drugs,
But it could also come from love and hugs.
Health can come from praying,too,
But in this service, it comes from all of you"Health can come from drugs and drugs,
But it could also come from love and hugs.
Health can come from praying,too,
But in this service, it comes from all of you.""Health can come from drugs and drugs,
But it could also come from love and hugs.
Health can come from praying,too,
But in this service, it comes from all of you."




[1] “chodosh” is wheat, not to be eaten before the counting of the omer is finished

No comments: