Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This Week!

So, this has been a great week on the cancer front. I met with Dr. Fisher and Margreet yesterday and after a lot of teasing and hugging, he informed me that he thought I was doing great. He said that I’m getting excellent care with Dr. Smith and that things are going as well as we could have hoped for. They were thrilled. He was also very enthusiastic about my efforts surrounding getting the word out about cold caps and was amazed that Kenra had committed its charitable giving dollars to this effort.

Today I had chemo. Yes – I know it was supposed to be tomorrow, but Dr. Smith had an emergency tomorrow and asked if I could come in this morning instead. After some quick scrambling, my colleague and friend Matt came to my rescue and rushed me into the City.

Dr. Smith was also thrilled with my progress and said that if he had written a play book about how he was hoping my cancer and my body would respond to chemo, that I was following it to a tee.

We are changing my chemo regimen a little because of my extremely dry feet and dry hands. I will now take 4 Xeloda pills per day instead of 5 and I will go for 14 days on and 7 days off. I will also be getting Avastin every 2 weeks but on a lower dosage. In March I will have another CT scan and if it doesn’t show any cancer growth then we will schedule the take down of my ileostomy.

As a little gift, I’m going to share with you a new limerick from my very talented friend, Shana, that she wrote to cheer me up during chemo this week (it worked!):

There is a fine drug named Xeloda.
It don’t taste quite the same as does soda.
My feet it makes dry
But o’er that I won’t cry
As long as my feet don’t exploda.


I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week!

No comments: