Sunday, April 11, 2010

No Options

As I stated in my previous blog, I have embarked on a journey of healing. Last week, I met with a Buddhist healer, Nestor, to discuss approach to life and health.

He said to me “Eve, you no longer have options. If you want to be healthy and remain cancer-free, you must cut out destructive foods, unhealthy thoughts and unnecessary stress. You must also meditate, slow down, exercise and sleep more. If you go back to your old, familiar ways, you will create an acidic environment in your body and you will be fighting cancer once again. You have no options.”

Wow. That’s a lot to absorb. He told me to start with creating a list of intentions and putting it on my bathroom mirror to look at daily – both in the morning and at night.

Perhaps the most important, but for me the most difficult activity on this list is meditation. It is hard to calm my mind. I actually like that I think about several things all at once. It makes me feel efficient and productive. However, after reflecting on this, I have realized that the most effective individuals are ones that are calm and focused. Nestor suggests that it’s like being in the middle of a tornado. There is calm inside while things swirl all around you. With calm comes clarity of mind and ability to conserve energy to direct at the important tasks at hand.

So – he suggested that I begin with 3 minutes of meditation twice a day. Eventually, I’ll work up to more time, but 3 minutes is a good place to start.

I also wanted to mention that I saw Dr. Fisher on Thursday. He declared me healthy once again. However, I didn’t feel that same sense of elation that I had last time. I will have my port removed in the next few weeks and I will have another CT scan and blood work in 3 months. He also gave me a lecture on eliminating unnecessary stress in order to heal. It seems like the western and eastern practitioners are in agreement when it comes to stress – it just isn’t good for your health.

I hope that you all are enjoying spring as new life and beauty abound (that’s another thing that I’m working on – literally stopping to smell the flowers!)

1 comment:

Erin Levine said...

is chocolate destructive? do you have to completely cut out everything? or can you seek to find balance? i love you.