Monday, January 5, 2015

January 5, 2008


Seven years ago I woke up in Mercy Hospital in Des Moines, Iowa to learn that I had colon cancer. I will never forget that day. I was overwhelmed – fear, shock and sadness washed over me.
When I first started this blog, I implored everyone who read it not to share with me any statistics – since my oncologist wisely told me that I wasn’t a statistic.
Since January 5th of 2008, I have proven my oncologist right. I am not a statistic. Since then, I have seen the statistics and have learned that I should have been under ground years ago.
But – I’m not. Today I am alive and thriving. I still have cancer – but it hasn’t stopped me from living a full life.
I’m here because of all of the amazing support that I have received over these many years – from my oncologists, my surgeons, my complementary medicine practitioners, my religious leaders, my friends, my colleagues, people who I have never met and from God. I am so blessed to have so many in my corner – cheering me on.  Thank you. I am so very very very grateful.

No comments: