Friday, August 24, 2012

CALL TO ACTION – Help Ensure Access to Oral Chemo!


I promise to write this weekend about the latest and greatest on my cancer treatment.  However, right now, I have an urgent request on the policy front.

In California, I have been working on a very important piece of legislation, AB 1000 (Perea).  This legislation requires health care service plan contracts and health insurance policies which already provide coverage for cancer treatment, to provide coverage parity for prescribed orally administered and intravenous anti-cancer medications.  This is critical for many patients who have been diagnosed with cancer.    Honestly, when I first heard about this legislation, I was shocked that oral chemo isn’t covered by some health plans.   Therefore, I vowed to do everything possible to enable all cancer warriors to have access to the best possible treatment for them.

Cancer will strike nearly one in two Californian’s born today at some point in their lifetime.  In order to prolong and save lives, biotechnology companies continuously research and invent the best possible treatment for the various forms of cancer.  More than 40 oral anti-cancer medications are currently available to treat 54 different types of cancer and there are approximately 100 oral anti-cancer medications under development. 

It is through this research that discoveries are made that will ultimately lessen healthcare costs to the state.  Unfortunately, because some service plans do not provide coverage parity for oral chemo, the high out-of-pocket costs of the oral chemo prevent about 25 percent of cancer patients from filling their prescriptions.  If cancer patients do not comply with their chemo protocol, their lives are placed further at risk.  Providing access to the drugs that biotech companies create not only encourages greater discoveries but also can be the difference between life and death for a cancer patient.

As you know, I have taken many different forms of chemotherapy, but the one that has enabled me to have the highest quality of life resulting in me being able to spend quality time with my children and remaining an active participant in the workforce, has been my oral chemotherapy drug, Xeloda.  While the equivalent IV drug would have forced me to travel to Stanford Cancer Center 8 times/month for infusions, in addition to my many other cancer-related doctor appointments, I am now able to spend that time with my family and at my office, living a more normal life.  I cannot overstate the importance of this to my life.

People have asked me if this bill impacts me.  At this point, I have not been faced with an insurance company who has been unwilling to cover my oral chemo.  I am fortunate. Anthem Blue Cross covers my oral chemotherapy enabling me to lead as full a life as possible.  Unfortunately, so many others do not have that option.  It is so important that each cancer patient have access to the drugs that will most effectively treat his/her type of cancer and enables the cancer patient to have the best quality of life. 

I am glad that we have been able to get this critical legislation passed through the Assembly and Senate.  However, it now is sitting on the Governor’s desk waiting for his signature (or veto).  I, on behalf of TechNet, and our friends at American Cancer Society, Susan G. Komen, Multiple Myeloma Assn, California Medical Association, BayBio, Biocom, California Healthcare Institute and many others are doing everything possible to convince the Gov. to sign this important legislation.  Unfortunately and very disappointingly, Kaiser and Blue Shield are fighting this hard and have hired a bunch of high priced lobbyists to influence the Gov. to veto the bill. 

Next week I’ll be speaking at a press conference on this legislation.  I’m hoping that we’ll be able to stand up and laud the Governor for his signature.  However, I’m very very nervous that this won’t be the case. 

I am therefore asking everyone that reads this blog to call, write or tweet the Gov’s office and urge him to sign AB 1000.   This is how you do it:

Call:  916-445-2841

Write:

Governor Jerry Brown
State Capitol, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814

Tweet:  Here are some examples of what you can tweet:

@jerrybrowngov Pls sign #AB1000 so cancer patients can get oral chemo pills for the same cost as IV chemo. #beatcancer #CaLeg

The FDA has approved 42 oral chemo meds for 57 different cancers. @JerryBrownGov please sign #AB1000 so insurance covers these meds. #CaLeg

@jerrybrowngov Cancer patients in 20 states & DC have access to oral chemo pills thanks 2 laws like #AB1000. Pls help us #beatcancer. #CaLeg

If you would like a fact sheet or any other information about this bill, just let me know.  Thank you for helping so many cancer patients who are struggling with this disease. 

No comments: