Thursday, June 24, 2010

Results

Late this afternoon, I received a call from Margreet (Dr. Fisher's right hand) regarding last night's CT scan. Apparently, I have a 12 mm nodule that is cancerous. They believe that it was derived from a cancer cell that was on the outside of the area that was flushed with chemo. The very good news is that there is no sign of cancer in any other location in my body (liver, lungs etc.) In fact, there is a possibility that they will be able to cut the nodule out and/or hit it with localized radiation rather than going through chemo again. Dr. Fisher has been out of town and will be back tomorrow night to review my CT scan and make his recommendation as to the appropriate course of action.

Needless to say, we are very happy with this news. Of course, I still have cancer and it will have to be treated, but I am no longer in the dark abyss that kept me up all night.

I am so grateful to my wonderful OBGYN who insisted on doing my routine pap smear and for the fact that somehow he was able to locate this cancer. At the risk of sounding preachy, I hope that this is a reminder to everyone that routine tests are so very important. Please don't put off the pap smear, colonoscopy, mammogram or whatever else is on your list.

Now - I'm off to do a puzzle with Ellie and dance with Ari....

6 comments:

Tracy Y said...

Such wonderful news!

Staciahl said...

Amen!

Cousin Ann said...

I'm so happy to hear it's the best possible verdict. As I went to sleep the last two nights, I thought - how is Eve going to fall asleep? How is Pat? I hope you slept last night. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Eve:

One of your friends shared this news with me -- I prayed for you and your family and am so happy for you regarding this update!!! God Bless you.
RJLyerly

Lauren said...

I still don't know what to say. Thank God for routine exams and for the best doctors in the field. Your positive attitude and all you are doing will get you through this and you will beat this. We will continue to pray and are thankful for the news. Much love!

Anonymous said...

Amen!! And Eve, you continue to be an inspiration for regular, routine checkups. I dedicated my first colonoscopy to you. Just had my mammogram and yep, scheduling my annual ob/gyn. You are absolutely spot on about these regular exams. Your example cannot be underestimated. Because of you, other friends who've been putting off their colonoscopies are now getting them. There's no such thing as too much information. And for you, there is no such thing as enough relief. Live joyfully today, my friend. You are such an awesome inspiration. In spite of it all.... xoxo, Cindy