Monday, March 2, 2009

The 6th Month CT Scan

Today I headed down to Stanford for blood work and the 6th month post-chemo CT scan. It seems both like it was yesterday that I was going through chemo, but it also feels like it’s been a very long time. To be honest, I’ve been on edge for the last several days in anticipation of the scan and, more importantly, finding out the results.

So – off I went to the beautiful Stanford Cancer Center for blood work. I had forgotten both how exquisite and unnerving that place is. While waiting to be called for my blood draw, I tried to guess what kind of cancer the other people in the waiting room were battling. I had this overwhelming urge to walk around the room and ask everyone what they had and how they were doing. Fortunately for the other patients, the phlebotomist called my name and finished my lab work fairly quickly. They then sent me to the brand new Stanford Radiology Center in Palo Alto for my CT scan.

When I arrived I discovered that they were running early so they were able to take me an hour before my scheduled appointment. I have to note that the technicians and nurses were amazingly kind and caring. Really – if you’re going to get cancer – Stanford is a heck of a place to go.

I made it through the CT scan without anything noteworthy to talk about. Unfortunately, I won’t know the results of the scan until my appointment this Thursday with Dr. Fisher. However, after the scan, I found myself searching the faces of the staff to see if they “knew” something. When the doctor came in to tell me that they had what they needed and I could leave, I had an internal debate as to whether he was being so pleasant because he knew that I was ok or because he knew that they had found something.

After about 10 minutes of overanalyzing everyone that I came into contact with, I finally let it go and decided that there was nothing that I could do until Thursday.

So – please keep me in your prayers this week and on Thursday at 3 pm PST – send a little extra positive thought my way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that it's insane they can't tell you right away if it's good news. Why put you through the wait! And why put your family through the wait!? Please post the results right away.