Monday, January 5, 2009

What a Difference a Year Makes

So today is the anniversary of my surgery and diagnosis. It feels so surreal. When I awoke from surgery in Mercy Hospital in Des Moines one year ago, I had no idea how profoundly my world would change over the next year.

This is the week that everyone begins to act on their New Year’s resolutions. I, too, am focusing on my own 2009 resolutions. Thanks to the timing of my diagnosis, I now have an "anniversary" which will remind me of the most important resolutions I can make - to stay healthy and focused on what truly matters.

One year ago today, I was lying in a hospital facing my own mortality. This year, I started the day with acupuncture and will end it with some exercising. Last year, I was researching chemo treatment options. This year, I’m trying to figure out what vacations I can talk Pat into taking. Last year, I was wondering if I would live to see another winter. Today, I am confident that I will live to see many many New Year’s celebrations.

Yes, it's cliché, but what a difference a year makes.

3 comments:

ShanTimes said...

Indeed!!!! It's a whole different world on this side of C-line, isn't it? Glad to hear you are in a good space- physically, mentally, spiritually. Happy New Year, Eve! I love you.

Unknown said...

I just completed your amazing blog from bottom to top. I wept with sorrow, joy and laughter and my heart has been touched beyond words. Eve, you are a blessed and gifted woman who truly will make a difference to the world. And have!

Cancer is an ugly beast, which I learned through my mom, who fought the brave fight with lung cancer. At the same time, I have found it has a strangely beautiful way of bringing the grace, strength, hope, love and goodness -- gifts that are too rare sometimes in our world. You have taken the worst, and have formed community around the best. That is a rare gift.

We are blessed with your example, reflection and bravery. Thank you for your inspiration. I think God wants you around for us for a long, long time. You GO GIRL!!

Much love and light to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

hooray for you, eve!...i enjoyed meeting you and your kids over at mark's last summer. glad you are doing well...

henry