Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chai (and the Amgen Tour)


As many of you know, Chai (pronounced  like “hi” with a guttural “h”) means life in Hebrew. According to a mystical tradition in Judaism that assigns a numerological value to Hebrew letters, the letters that make up the word Chai, Het (n) and Yud (‘) add up to the number 18.
This morning, I had surgery number 18. This spiritual number represents good luck (and life) and that’s a very appropriate description of how things went this morning.

Pat and I checked in at 5:30 am for my surgery.  The waiting room was incredibly busy with more than 50 people waiting for surgery. But – as I walked up to the front desk, the attendant greeted me by name – without me introducing myself. I was stunned. She told me that she knew me because I had been there so many times…. Oy!
At 7:15 am I was wheeled into surgery, I was in the recovery room by 8:05 and we were walking out of Stanford by 9 am. Heck – it went so well that I was able to get in a full day of work!

Surgery number 18 certainly lived up to its name - Chai – bringing me a better and longer life!
Oh – and for those of you who want to spend Mother’s Day with our family at the Amgen Tour’s Breakaway Mile, the link is now open for registration at http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/breakawaymile.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I have the great honor of being the Breakaway from Cancer Champion in Sacramento. I would love love love to have you all there with me for a marvelous day!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

My Dear Eve, My mom was telling me about your blog and singing your praises this last weekend. She's been signing your praises ever since you were first introduced to you so very many years ago

There's a concept from Judaism that I am very fond of, that will of course be familiar to you, that of Tikkun Olam (repair/restoration of the world). Years ago I learned about this idea from a wonderful person - Marshall Ganz at the Hauser Center in the JFK School. If you don't know him, you should!

In any case, as I read your blog I thought of this idea in relation to you. In "This Sucks" you mention that perhaps your struggle serves this greater purpose - letting others maintain perspective. And I wondered, well where does that leave you? I remember you as a girl who was planning to light the world on fire with her ideas, her energy, her courage, her ideals. You clearly are now the woman born of that girl and the embodiment of the striving for Tikkun Olam. You are making the world a better place for all of us.

I wish you more joy, more strength, and much love! You are a leader of people Miss Evie (that is how I remember you despite evidence that you are a grown woman). Here is my wish for you: May you be surrounded by love and cradled in the arms of those who give you strength to be the magnificent being you have become. Know that you are making a difference in just the way you said you would. With much love and respect, Shannon Shea