Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Round 3 - Here I Come!

So tomorrow’s the big day. The start of round 3. I really was hoping that I’d never be saying those words. But life continues to throw me a curveball, and I’ll continue to do everything I can to hit it out of the ballpark.

When I asked Dr. Smith what I should be doing to prepare for tomorrow’s chemo, he told me to get exercise and hydrate myself. So tonight I went to the gym and I’m drinking large amounts of water and tea. Tomorrow morning I will plan to work out some more before heading to Smith Integrative Oncology to get the fabulous cocktail that will kill my cancer.

The last 24 hours have been filled with another cancer related effort – trying to figure out how to save my hair. Yesterday, when I was speaking with Dr. Smith’s nutritionist, I jokingly asked her if there was anything that I could eat that would prevent hair loss. She then told me that she had heard of people using the Penguin Cold Cap system. The theory is that the cold cap freezes the hair follicles which prevents the chemo from being absorbed. I looked into it last night, and since the company was located in England, I left a message on their machine asking if there was any possibility of obtaining the Penguin caps by Thursday.

I received a call at 7 am from the President of the company saying that he wanted to help me. Although I wasn’t giving them enough time to ship me the caps, he told me that he’d try to find someone locally who would lend them to me. Amazingly enough, within an hour, he was calling me back to let me know that there was a woman in San Francisco who just finished her chemo yesterday and was more than happy to pass them off to me. So – I went to her home, she gave me all of her supplies and demonstrated how to attach the caps to my head (there will be 14 of them and I’ll be changing them every 30 minutes). She then offered to meet me at my chemo appointment tomorrow to make sure that I have the system down and to teach Pat the best way to put on the cap. The people that I have met on this journey continue to amaze me with their incredible generosity.

But – the most phenomenal thing was that she was a breast cancer patient and had a full head of hair! I spoke with several other breast cancer penguin cap users today that had the same story. They all had most, if not all, of their hair after they finished chemo.

So tomorrow – with the first of many caps on my head – I’ll be heading to chemo. I may look funny – but heck – I have hope that I’ll have a full head of hair when I’m done with this.

At 11:30 am I’ll be starting chemo. Please send me your prayers and positive thoughts. My body is strong and I’m feeling energized. This time I’m going to win. I just know it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the update and best of luck tommorow! Nice move on the Penguin caps.

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me! In every aspect of your life you figure it and you get it done. I have no doubt that you will have a full head of hair, which will be blowing through the breeze on some fabulous vacation to celebrate the end of chemo.

Staciahl said...

Sorry, Eve. Anonymous is me!

Anjie said...

Wow, I love how you take charge, Eve! With attitudes and gumption like yours, every good thing is possible! I won't even tell you "Take care" because you're already doing it. Keep kicking it!

Jessica W. said...

I have a friend who iced her hands during each chemo infusion to help battle neuropathy--seems like the same physical phenomenon of circulation is at issue here w/ saving hair.

Dina said...

Eve you are amazing. And I know that if the cap works, it will do wonders for your spirits. You are in my prayers and on the refua shlema list at Beth Shalom Seattle.

Hugs,Dina Tanners