Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Round 2 - Day 1 Update

So today I traveled down to Stanford to begin the three day regimen of "Round 2 protocol." I started off by meeting with my amazing Dr. Fisher. Have I mentioned that he is not only the smartest oncologist on the planet, but also the kindest?! Anyway, he informed me that my blood work looked great and that he was pleased with how my body was weathering the chemo. At that point I was expecting for him to inform me that he’d want to add another chemo drug that would be administered intravenously.

But that’s not what he said. Apparently, there are three potential chemo drugs that he was considering adding: Erbitux, Irinotecan and Avastin. Unfortunately, these drugs have not shown to be effective on individuals who do not have tumors. This has shocked scientists, since the natural assumption was that if the drugs work on tumors, that they should work on cancer at the microscopic level. However, that has not proven to be the case. Thus, since I don’t have any tumors, it really doesn’t make sense to add any of them to my chemo regimen.

Therefore, the plan is to continue to blast my abdomen cavity where he believes there is the greatest likelihood of recurrence with a dose of chemo that is 100x the amount that he would have put through my bloodstream (yes – 100 x!) and watch me carefully. So this is my basic plan: After I go through two more days of chemo this week, I will have one week off, go back for three more days, have one week off and then the last three days and I’ll be done. We will then monitor my blood, get regular CT scans and pray. If a tumor does reemerge, than Dr. Fisher said that we will have a host of chemo options to use.

After hearing that news, both Pat and I experienced mixed emotions. Although I am thrilled that I will keep my hair, not get overwhelmingly ill or have a horrendous rash, it now means that I alone will be responsible for ensuring that the cancer does not come back in organs outside of my abdomen. I won’t have a partner in poison. This requires an active effort on my part. As many of you know, this time around, I truly have begun making significant changes in the way I approach my life: I have changed my diet; started taking a LOT of herbal supplements; begun iyengar yoga; started qi gong; continue to see my acupuncturist regularly; see a holistic healer; have my reiki healing neighbor work on me and I’m now looking into pranic healing. Six months ago I would have laughed if anyone would have told me that I would be engaging in all of these activities. It’s amazing how inspired you can become to change your entire outlook on different healing options when your life is at stake.

As for tonight – I’m actually feeling pretty good. I feel a little bloated from all of the chemo and saline in my belly (and I’m trying to figure out how big my abdomen will become over the next two days). However, I feel very very blessed. If this is what my chemo program will be like over the next two months – I am one lucky gal. When you go into the transfusion center there are so many people who are going through so much more. I am a little tired though and have a big day tomorrow (before chemo, I’m working at the Valentine’s Day party in Ari’s classroom) – so I think I’ll head to bed now.

Thank you all for your wonderful notes, prayers and words of encouragement. It means more to me than I can ever express.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eve, eoe you are awesome beyond words. So glad you can continue to be allowed to look in a mirror and see the brave, beautiful and funny role model you are. You are in my prayers. You are my hero. I love you. Love light warmth strength healing. Love light warmth strength healing...